A writer of that era described the tone of the organ as “full and rich”. He tells that every seat in the church was occupied for the recital that took place the previous Friday evening.
The organ was built by the late Edward Lye firm which was well known for building many organs of the time. The price of $2000 was agreed upon. Mr. Lye wrote to the committee that he would install “a very complete and powerful organ containing 930 speaking pipes which he was to build and install. Case to be of special design, of oak finely finished, 21 feet wide, nine feet deep, and 22 inch passage behind the organ for entrance to the choir loft.” The firm also agreed to install a water powered motor for $120, with the church to supply the pipes and the drainage.
It was not uncommon in Milton to use motors driven by water received from the municipal supply. The elevation of the town’s water reservoir insured good pressure.
The organ was a tracker type, with keys mechanically connected to the valves which operated the pipes. This required the organist to be at the rear of the choir loft.
By January of 1928 C.F. Legge Organ Co. was engaged to rebuild the organ, introducing magnets and electrical contacts to transfer the key action to the valves under the pipes. This allowed the console to be moved forward to the front of the choir loft. On Sunday, September 2, 1928, the dedication service for the re-built organ was held.
In 1986 rebuilding the organ was again being considered. In 1988 Keates-Geissler Pipe Organs Ltd. Of Acton was awarded the contract for $99,015. Under the direction of Dieter M. Geissler the work was carried out including the installation of a new console.
On Sunday, October 1, 1989 the congregation dedicated the restored pipe organ with the cost of the work completely paid for by the members of the congregation.