Methodist Roots

1738
John Wesley, a Church of England priest – “strangely warmed” at a religious meeting – begins preaching to the poor and down-trodden in Britain. These “Methodists” became a society within the Church of England. John’s brother, Charles, a prolific hymn-writer and priest, is considered a co-founder of Methodism. He published more than 4,500 hymns; 14 of them are in “Voices United”, including “Hark The Herald Angels Sings”, “Christ the Lord is Risen Today”, and “Rejoice the Lord is King”.

1766
Lawrence Coughlan, a follower of the Wesley brothers, begins preaching in Newfoundland, the first presence of Methodism in what is now Canada.

1778-1812
Following the American Revolution, many of the Loyalists who found a haven in Canada were Methodists.

1795
Methodists separate from the Church of England.

1827
A circuit rider, Rev. Anson Green, makes the first recorded visit of a Methodist minister to village of Milton. He preached in the homes of “Widow Harrison” and James Coates.

1828
Methodists in Upper Canada sever their affiliation with U.S. Methodists.

1852
First service held in Milton Wesleyan Methodist Church on our present site.

1884
Virtually all Methodist groups in Canada come together to form the Methodist Church.

1891
First service in our present sanctuary.

1925
Formation of the United Church of Canada. This brought together the Methodist Church (Canada, Newfoundland and Bermuda), the Presbyterian Church in Canada, Congregational Churches of Canada and Local Union Churches in Saskatchewan. (About 1/3 of Presbyterians, including our neighbour, Knox Presbyterian, voted to remain outside the union). We became St. Paul’s United Church.